Friday, May 25, 2012

running

I can never finish anything. 

My life is filled with "to be continued's"...waiting for me to dabble in it again. For example, I was on a running kick at the beginning of the year. One of my 2012 goals was to run a 5k. Not only was it a milestone for me to accomplish (I HATE RUNNING), but it was also a motivation to get into shape. My schedule was to run five times a week following the Couch to 5k program. After conquering a little rut in the beginning, I actually found myself enjoying running. I felt good afterwards, and I noticed results right away. But then I hit a wall. I became busy with work from my promotion and was hanging out with friends everyday throughout the week. I was then running two times a week, if that. My motivation dwindled until I felt no urge to run.

Yes, I was lazy. And yes, I can blame it on my mentality as well. 

Like running, it starts off as a good idea. Then once it's put into practice, it's actually not too bad; doing something new always gives you a high in life. But it's how to maintain that high that is the hard part.

With running, I was missing my push. Yes, technically my push was to run a 5k within the year and also having Brian to run with helped. But my "push", the motivation, my will, my drive, whatever you may call it, was missing. I was just running to cross it off my list. To complete something. 

Three months later, I realized what I was missing: having fun. Too much emphasis was placed on having to meet an acquired time or run faster than I previously did before. I stressed myself out when I didn't run well. As much as it was important for me to meet the goals I had set out for each week, I forgot to just have fun running. Now it might sound strange to correlate fun with running. In my past experiences with running, it was no fun at all; in fact it was always correlated with P.E. So now, I had the chance to run...for leisure. Even with the running program I was following, I had the freedom to just run outside and enjoy it.  

I still have that 5k ahead of me...to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment