Thursday, March 21, 2013

little people can take big steps too.

I'm 5' 2 1/2".

And yes, the half counts.

To many of my friends and family members, I'm short. To little babies and toddlers, I'm tall. And to my husband (who is 6' 6"), I'm perfect ... or a midget, depending if he wants to be sweet or funny.

Despite of my height, I have big dreams. Dreams that every now and then come out of hiding, and I find myself daydreaming for hours in my office wanting to live them out. I tend to daydream ... a lot. I remember specifically when I was younger --- I daydreamed all day, err day. What I would be. Where I'd be living. Who I'd Marry. If I was famous ...

In college, daydreaming went to a different level. Being away from home, I grew up some. I was an adventure-seeker. I thrived for risks (sometimes, ha). And I wasn't afraid to take a leap of faith. I daydreamed a lot about living in Africa and becoming a missionary, ever since the summer after my freshman year. I had it all planned out.

I still daydream when I get the chance, but with reality slapping me in the face (as it often does), I find myself dreaming less and less. The idea of living out my dreams grow slimmer and slimmer as I submerge myself into reality.

For a season in my life, I found myself jealous and envious as I saw friends living out their dreams. Missionaries overseas. Working at a non-profit. Event coordinator. Living in a different country. Traveling the world. Teaching English in a non-English speaking country.

"Count your blessings," I tell myself. I'm blessed to have married my best friend, grateful to have the kind of job at my age, and thankful to be surrounded with a community of friends and family. All of those, and so much more, I don't regret. At all. But sometimes, I ask myself, "When is it my turn to live out my dreams? My passions?"

And then I realize, it's not my turn yet.

There's a reason why we're not created to control how our lives should look like. It's too much for us to handle. It's not worth the disappointment and heartache. Now and then, I'm reassured by Him.

And am I comforted by His Word:
"Trust in me with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to me, and I will make your paths straight."

Trust. It's the first step to following your dreams. The next step? Seeing the opportunities that God reveals to you. And then? Go.







No comments:

Post a Comment